22 Feb 2014

Beat the sugar addiction

Arguably as addictive as cocaine and responsible for soaring levels of obesity, sugar is the most-wanted villain in our worsening national health crisis. Laura Tilt looks at why - and how - to free yourself from the clutches of the sweet stuff
Sugar. It’s everywhere. From the sweet syrup lacing your morning coffee to the soft cheese on your toast (often made from sugar-sweetened bread), the white stuff has slowly sneaked its way into our food chain and has become a habit we just can’t kick.
Which means we’re in trouble. A growing body of research has found links between high sugar intake and an increased risk of health problems including obesity, heart disease, cancer and even Alzheimer’s. But that’s not all.
New research demonstrating the addictive properties of sugar suggests we might be more hooked than we’d like to admit. The substance has become “the most addictive drug of our times”, according to Paul van der Velpen, head of Amsterdam’s health service.
Once an expensive luxury for the well-to-do, sugar is now a commodity for all, regardless of wealth. In fact, growth in consumption of sugar has been strongest in developing countries, corresponding to rising incomes and diet changes. According to a recent report from the Fairtrade Foundation, global consumption of sugar has grown by almost three per cent each year for the last 50 years............

1 comment:

John said...

Great post! I wish a lot more people spoke about sugar addiction.

All my life I have struggled with an addiction to sugar. The more sweet things I ate, the more I wanted. I couldn't eat just one piece of something without wanting more.

Since learning about nutrition and glycemic index, my relationship with food has changed dramatically. I have learned that there are healthy alternatives to sugar, and I can still have delicious desserts and not feel deprived!

When out to dinner with friends and colleagues and they order dessert, I an no longer bothered seeing the dessert, because I know I can go home and have something just as delicious that won't spike my blood sugar and is even good for me!

I'm talking about having Guilt Free Desserts.

I bought the recipe book for $34.95 USD, which does seem a little overpriced at first... but it is totally worth it when you take a look at the amount of content that is in the Book. Probably the best $34.95 I have spent in a long while!

The recipes are so easy to do... And you don't have to feel guilty!

Here's where I bought my copy.

This might be what changes you & your readers relationship to sugar FOREVER.

It did for me...

Best regards,

John