2 Nov 2013

How Suzanne Somers Minds Her Body

Health advocate and successful entrepreneur Suzanne Somers has written 24 books, including 13 New York Times bestsellers, five of which topped the list. Her latest book, I’m Too Young for This!: The Natural Hormone Solution to Enjoy Menopause was an instant New York Times bestseller. There are currently more than 25 million copies of Somers’s books in print. She received an Emmy nomination as Outstanding Host for The Suzanne Show, her weekly series of one-hour health specials on Lifetime. She is a founder of ForeverHealth.com, an online resource to connect patients with doctors specializing in natural hormone therapy.
We asked Somers, who turned 67 last month, about her health and lifestyle habits and, as usual, she didn’t hold back. Don’t miss our roundup of the latest health news highlights.
How do you take care of yourself with what you eat?
It’s all about the food, the fuel of the body. I grow my own organic food and eat it when it is ready and ripe from the garden. I always compare the body to a Maserati. You would never put interior fuel into a Maserati so why would you put inferior fuel into your body—a much more magnificent machine than any car? I try to give myself food that is clean, organic, and not sprayed with chemicals.
What’s your “must-do” physical activity?
I will do yoga till I die. It is not high impact, it keeps me limber, makes a beautiful long body, and there is no age cut-off. You progress according to your ability. Breathing is important for oxygenating the body and yoga is all about the breath.
Add the machines to that: a glider, my Suzanne Somers Total Thigh Trainer, my ThighMaster, and my EZ Gym that fits over any hotel door.
Want to share a major health lesson?
Not to take health for granted. Cancer was my wake-up call. I hadn’t been sleeping properly. I also had no understanding of the damage done by eating food with chemicals. Today some people say to me—relative to all the supplements and vitamins I take, all the hormones I rub on daily, the green drink I have every morning, the probiotics, etc.—that it’s a lot of work. I always respond: It’s a lot more work to be sick.
How do you sustain a positive mental outlook and “get happy”?
Every morning, without fail, I isolate just one of my 90 trillion cells. I tell it how happy I am, how grateful I am for the life I live, how grateful I am for the love in my life and my wonderful family, for my health and for being able to do work that I love to do. Then I send that cell off on its merry way to tell all the other cells. Thoughts will create whatever you want to manifest–including happiness.
How do you motivate someone you love to make a positive lifestyle change?
By example: You just go on about your business with the true way you live your life with happiness, calm and peace. Those around you will want what you have.
What one health condition would you most like to eradicate for everyone and why?
It’s between cancer and Alzheimer’s. I believe that by changing our eating habits, by insisting that all food be organic, grown in soil rich with minerals and vitamins and nutrients, by going back to cleaning our homes with vinegar and water and lemon and mineral oil like our mothers used to do, by insisting that fluoride not be put in our water supply, we can take charge of our personal health and lower our disease rates.
You’re a well-known proponent of natural bio-identical hormones. Why?
I believe these hormones allow you to keep your edge so you can remain useful and young at heart because you have energy and vitality, a good working brain and strong bones. You get to stay healthy, look good, have a great libido, have less wrinkling, and a sharp, clear mind, allowing you to access and disseminate your wisdom and perspective.

No comments: